29 January 2010

Day 47/365 - f/1.8


Day 47/365 - f/1.8
Originally uploaded by ChristopherFecio
Friday, January 29.

I ordered a new lens on Wednesday and it came UPS this afternoon. I bought it from B&H Photo Video. I ordered it online, and it came with free standard shipping, so I upgraded the shipping to 2 day air for only $5.05. Pretty sweet deal if you ask me.

After going to the Orphanage last week, I realized that the lens I have isn't going to cut it. Since my only other autofocus lens was a zoom lens, the optics weren't 100% solid. But this new lens (they call it a prime lens because of the fixed focal length) is so much sharper. I can tell just from the few shots I've taken. It really makes me feel more comfortable to now have autofocus, solid focus, a large aperture, and a good focal distance. That was my main reason for looking into a new lens, but last Saturday I also had a chance to play with Tom Schaefer's 50mm lens and I loved it. So now it's here, and I'm glad I made the purchase. Compared to the price of most lenses, it was extremely inexpensive, costing just a shred over $130.

So now the true test is to see what I can do with this. And the autofocus will be great for doing self portraits. I won't have to do manual focus and keep moving back and forth from in front of the lens to behind the camera. Sweet.

D200 + Solid 50mm f/1.8 + Beast Flash = Good system.

Just looking at external strobes now. Can't afford those now, but hopefully some time in the nearish future. Perhaps a graduation gift to myself?

Shifting up as we move fast,
Hear the transmission grasping for gears.
Give it power, watch us fly;
We'll be there for the sunrise.

No comments:

Post a Comment