29 January 2010

Day 46/365 - Pinhole Matchbox Cameras

Thursday, January 28.

For my next project in my Alternative Photography class we have to build or modify anything that is capable of taking pinhole photographs. Some people have decided to use the old faithful oatmeal can, while others are using lens cap pinholes for their digital cameras.

Last semester I modified my large format camera so that I can use it to take pinhole images, but I thought that was a bit too easy, so I chose to make a couple matchbox pinhole cameras. I have a bunch of rolls of 35mm film around the house (kept in the fridge), so I might as well get some use out of it. I've been wanting to do this for a long time, and now that I have the motivation to, I get to see where it goes.

Look for updates in the next couple of weeks. The black and white images will probably be up first since I can just develop those myself. I have to send out the color roll, so I'll have to wait on those. I wonder if I have to give the place any extra instructions since I cut the little tab off the end of the roll, and the images are going to be spaced oddly.

The negatives are going to be 30mm x 30mm each. A very odd size, indeed.

My main reason for going outside of the normal 24mm size is that I wanted to have the holes on the edges become a part of the image. I've always been very intrigued by pinhole images that took advantage of the entire section of film, so here goes nothing.

Wish me luck!

Click click, click click;
My finger taps the button.
Instant gratification;
I'll throw it all away.

No comments:

Post a Comment