26 January 2010

Day 44/365 - 120V/150W

Tuesday, January 26.

A simple element, a tiny light-emitting device. It is a bulb off of an Alien Bees strobe light. It isn't the actual strobe, though. It's the hot light that is used for setting up the shot before firing the strobes.

Tom Schaefer asked me if I would photograph it with my large format camera, because he was wondering what the results would look like. Although he has dealt mostly with digital photography, I can see that his interest in analog photography will take him a long way, and it will provide quite an exciting trip for him. He is such an intelligent guy and a better digital photographer than I could hope to be, and he's only a senior in high school. I really feel like photography is going to take him a long way in his life, and I'm glad to have had the chance to see the kind of work that he has made.

Saturday, I went to Tom's house to help him mat and frame a bunch of prints that he had made from his work. He's applying for scholarships and entering in competitions, as well as creating a beautiful portfolio. It was amazing to see all of his prints in the sizes he chose for them, and I had a lot of fun just hanging out with him and talking about everything from my senior thesis project to his 365 Project, to anything and everything related to photography in general. I highly suggest you go to Flickr and visit his page. You won't be disappointed.

I spent the entirety of Saturday at his house, Subway, and AC Moore. It was an awesome time, and although it took 15 hours to finish 14 prints, it was definitely worth it. It isn't often that I have the chance to sit down and talk to other photographers, as most that I know either don't share the same love for it that I do or aren't easily accessible. We'll be heading to the Orphanage some time in the near future, and the only thing I worry about concerning that is that his photographs will be better than mine. Ha. Lame, I know, but he's one of the few people I know that actually intimidates me when it comes to their art and photography.

It will be a lot of fun, though.

I'm hoping to have the chance to write more often, rather than just posting my images, so we'll see how that goes.

Slipping down the hill,
spinning as we go.
The snow drifts along my eyebrows,
brushing and kissing my cheeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment