22 May 2009

More Mountains in the Distance (and up close)

Well, where does this bring me to?

Hmm. It's a Thursday night (or perhaps Friday morning), and it's about time to get to bed. Yeah. Maybe a couple of hours late. Whatevs. I'll live.

So I was able to make it back to the Grand Canyon for another visit. The other side this time. It was definitely a lot less crowded, quite a bit more colorful, and definitely a better drive. The trees that lined the road went from pure green to black and white (most likely from forest fires). It was a great site though, the blackened tree trunks rising up towards the cloudy sky in vain. It was almost better than actually seeing the canyon itself.Then I was able to make a trip over towards the Zion National Park, which was another $25. I think it's pretty ridiculous that each park decides to charge something around that, even though the pass is good for seven days. But. really, who goes back after they leave? Well, I guess I did for the Grand Canyon, but that's a whole different story because there are two different sides. Whatever. I ended up driving through twice anyway because the road is only 13 miles long and I felt like driving only one way would rob me of the view that I was missing behind me. And let me say, driving back west through the park was definitely a better view. While I was there, I met a couple who originally came from New York. As I was waiting in line to go through the tunnel (it's very narrow and traffic can only go through one way at a time), He yelled from the car behind me and asked what part of New York. I told him Buffalo area, and he said they were from Long Island. Traffic started moving again, so after we got out of the tunnel and to the first stop after it, I pulled in to get out and take pictures, and they did too. I talked to them for a couple minutes about why I was there and what I was doing, and they told me they had moved to Oregon and lived there now, and they each worked some job or another.It was nice to see someone who came from generally the same area.

Yesterday I also drove through Fishlake National Forest, which was a bit of a disappointment, but that has to be expected once in a while. I camped out in some little campground, and then in the morning I got out on the road pretty early.

I had planned on seeing the salt flats at the Great Salt Lake today so I would have all day tomorrow just to explore the city or just take it easy, but instead I ended up driving to Spiral Jetty, which is a man made sculpture that sits somewhere on the lake, about a 20 mile off road trip from the one state road (If you google it, you'lll be able to find directions). I was a little worried after the first fifteen miles when the gravel road disappeared and all I was driving on was dirt and rocks. Not little rocks, mind you, large ones. They were pretty crazy, and I was nervous about getting a flat tire or popping an axle or something, and I almost stopped to turn around a couple times, but I trudged on and finally arrived at the site. It was marvelous.
This picture doesn't even do it justice. The best part was that because there was nobody around, and because you had to pass through a couple miles of private property (which is why there was probably nobody there) I was able to walk right up to it. It was amazing. Definitely a return trip there. Perhaps with some rock crawling tires next time.

And then tonight I went out with my CouchSurfing host, her roommate, and a couple friends, and it was a fun time. We went dancing at this weird bar/club, Green Street; it was pretty cool though. It was the first time I've really done anything with anyone since I've been gone so it was a bit refreshing.

Until next time.

Waves crash upon the shore,
throwing rocks and shells and foam.
I watch it pull you away
as I just stand there, motionless.

1 comment:

  1. You should be able to buy a national parks pass that's good for all the parks for a year. I don't know where you're heading next, but if you're making a stop in LA, give us a call. I can hook you up with a VIP view of downtown and a couch to crash on. Drive safe!

    ReplyDelete