14 May 2009

Can You Feel the Heat?

Oh boy, where to start...

Yesterday I got on the road pretty early, and I made my way out on 84 to the wind Pyrons (I guess that's what they are officially called). They look big from far away, but when you drive right up next to one and stand next to it, they are monstrous. And the air they blow is absolutely unbelievable. It's like standing in the middle of a wind tunnel (Now just imagine me standing there with my 4x5 camera under the dark cloth trying to keep it steady. All it tried to do was blow away). But I managed to take a couple pictures with that and a couple with my other two
cameras also so I should be all set.

I had some time before my CouchSurfing host would be home from work so I did some shopping that I forgot to do before I left (I ended up buying a couple pairs of shorts too...). After that I went to Starbucks, got a Strawberries and Cream Frappucino and just read a little, wrote a little, and basically just chilled out and tried to be calm. The temperature outside was a hefty 103 at that point so I figured I'd spend as much time inside
as possible, but I never thought I would end up reading an entire book. I wonder what the people at Starbucks thought about me just sitting there and reading. Now I know all about "The Perks of Being a Wallflower", a novel I've been wanting to read for a very long time but never got around to until Nicole bought it for me before I left. It was the best gift that someone has ever given me for a going away.

Right as I was about to finish the book, my host, Kristen, called and said that she was home and that I could stop over whenever I was ready. I read the last couple pages in the book and then drove over. She has this great apartment all to hers
elf, and it's actually a really good size. The decorations inside of it are great too. And, she has plants everywhere. She was very welcoming and hospitable, and we went to grab dinner at this little Thai place called The King and I. Since it was pretty late by then, there wasn't anyone else in the place and we just ate our food and talked.
Then we came back to her place and she kicked my ass at Scrabble twice before we decided it was time to go to bed.

Let me just say that she has one of the longest couches I've seen, and my feet didn't even hit the end. An
d it was comfortable too.

I'm just getting ready to head out to a State Park full of sand dunes so that should be exciting.
Oh, and I forgot, I took another picture of the Lego Cowboy on his travels. It's off the side of I20 West, somewhere between Roscoe and Midland, Texas. I hope it's not always this hard to find something to hang him on...

More later.

The sun burns holes
right through my skin.
I walked for miles,
and there was no place to go.

1 comment:

  1. Barb DeCarolis15 May, 2009 10:28

    great job at blogging. I felt like I was there with you. keep up writing like that and you will be a book writer and photographer!

    ReplyDelete