12 May 2009

The Beginning

Well, first post since actually being on the road. It's been long, it's been warm, and it's been exhausting. And I basically still don't have the rest of the trip planned at all. I suppose I'll do that before I fall asleep tonight. That would be a good idea...

I saw a ton of really great things so far. The beautiful drive through Kentucky was one of the best. The hills were absolutely magnificent. I didn't get any great pictures though so I won't have one of those.

The sunset in Tennessee was amazing also. Because I was driving west, it set basically right ahead of me so I saw it go all the way down. Plus, on my entrance into Tennessee, I stopped and took this:
It's the first one in the series of the traveling cowboy. Sorry about the folds in the fabric; I'm going to have to fix that before I take the next one (I just forgot about it, but I have all the tools to get it done). I don't know exactly where he'll show up next, but I think I'm going to have to work on making him freestanding if I want to take him everywhere. Perhaps a trip to Home Depot or Lowes tomorrow..

Today was a long drive through Texas. I mean, I know it looks big on a map, but you really have no idea how big until you drive through it for the better part of a day. I got on the road this morning at 9, and I'm in Snyder now, and I just stopped about an hour ago. Although I did stop along the highway to take a couple of pictures. That took some maneuvering...

Driving along 84 today, I was going to head all the way up to some other city so I could be more north in Texas so I could find some awesome plains, but I decided to stop in Snyder because I found the perfect shot. The sun was already going down and it was raining a little so I didn't have a chance to get it today, but I'm ready for tomorrow. It's going to be of the windmills:


I know that this isn't the best picture, but it was just a quick snapshot to put on here and show you what I'll be doing. The fields were amazing; there are thousands of these wind turbines just standing everywhere. And when they all stopped spinning, they looked even more amazing.

The weather today was hot. Perhaps I should have brought a pair of shorts. (go ahead mom, you can say "I told you so"). It made it all the way up to 95 while driving through Dallas, and it was still in the mid seventies when I stopped driving.

Nothing too special happened today or yesterday. Just a lot of driving and a lot of time to think. But now it's time to plan. Until next time...

Four wheels along the pavement;
they spin and turn and stop.
But it's not until they return to you
that they will be satisfied.

1 comment:

  1. Are the stars at night really big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas? Does the Alamo have a basement?

    ReplyDelete