11 December 2010

Inevitability in the Mind and the Image

When you begin something, you are inevitably (whether knowingly or unknowingly) accepting that at some point in the future it will come to an end.

Since the beginning of photography, it has always been the goal to change and further the way that it can be used and understood. Films have changed; they have come and gone. Gone are the days of 127, 616, 620, etc. If it wasn't for the accessibility of chemicals, wet plate photography would have also gone down the same road. And it's at this time that we wave a final farewell to Kodachrome, perhaps the film that made the Kodak name. It had amazing contrast and saturation and was, at one time, the single most used film for print media. But now that era has ended. Gone are the days of the King. After December 31, there won't be any labs left that can process Kodachrome film. Sad, yes. But a time to move on. Sorry Paul Simon, but they've finally taken your Kodachrome away.

All this talk about ends. My 365 project is about to reach its end. After today's image, I will only have three days left. Three days. And then it'll be the end. The end of a year. The end of a project. The end of (dare I say?) an era.

This doesn't mean I stop shooting. It only means that I will be more particular with my subjects. No more late night, low light photographs taken to merely prolong the end. I welcome the end, now. I can look back at what I've accomplished, how far I've come, where I'm sitting. I think differently, look differently, and capture differently. I live my life in the world, but dream through the viewfinder. I often see the world backwards, and, occasionally, upside down.


I decided that I was going to use this blog as a way to share my thoughts and images; moving forward, I will be using it as a way to share equipment, artists, images, and thoughts on photography. I want to make it more of a resource than a biographical journal.

Remember, like film and the dodo, the image itself also has a natural shelf life. How far are you willing to go to make sure that your images will live on when you can't?


Dropping through the clouds,
along the surface of the sky.
Taking breaths of rain,
during the morning dew.

No comments:

Post a Comment