14 November 2010

Tom Schaefer


Tom Schaefer
Originally uploaded by ChristopherFecio
Looking back in my archives, I found this Polaroid I took of Tom. Tom has become my go-to shooting buddy. He's always up for photography and is great to talk to about it. His work is really awesome (check out his website if you have a chance). He has quickly caught up to me in his use of both his view camera and his Mamiya. He also recently just upgraded with his digital work by purchasing the Canon 5D Mark II. Best of luck with that, Tom.

This Polaroid film is really cool to work with. It expired in 1985, which gives you an idea of when it was supposed to be used. The process is slow and specific, but I feel that the results are definitely worth it. It's a rush to get the image (almost) instantly - after taking the photograph, it requires a 60 to 90 second development time depending on age of film, temperature of the environment, etc. This is awesome, considering most 4x5 takes much longer - depending on when you can get it to a lab or process it yourself.

It's a simple image; I wasn't expecting much. Because there was temperamental sun, some areas are more properly exposed than others. I think it just adds a bit of mystery, though, and requires that you look a little bit closer to see what is happening.

When I bought my 4x5 camera a few years ago the Polaroid back came with it, but I never really expected to use it. Polaroid film was always so expensive, and I never knew where to find it. But, I finally caught an interest in it and found myself searching for it everywhere, trying to find a decent price. I eventually bought this pack, a 20 pack, on eBay. All together, it came out to almost $2.50 per sheet of film. When I think about it now, that isn't so bad. If I bought slide film, the film and processing cost would be higher than that. So I guess I'll just wait for spring/summer to roll around again before I start using more of this film. No need to waste it during the winter.

Experimentation is key.


A tip of the hat and a slip of the tongue;
Say what you mean.
Because when it comes to chances,
you'll only get one.

No comments:

Post a Comment